Sunday, March 28, 2010

Create, Preserve and Destroy

I am not an expert, or even well versed in the Hindu religion, but I do know that Brahma is the creator of everything, Vishnu is the preserver of the world and Shiva is the destroyer of all. All three are needed in order for there to be life and creation.

I am reminded of this tenet of Hinduism when I look at my room. I clean it, dust it, vacuum and arrange. I purge clutter. I am amazed when, months later, I still have more to purge (how is it possible for one person to accumulate so much?). The room is beautiful, tranquil and inviting. It stays this way for a few days, or if I'm lucky, a few weeks. Then, piece by piece, a scrap of paper, a receipt, two extra glasses on the bedside table, socks on the floor, shoes scattered about, the room starts to disintegrate into chaos. It gets worse until I think it can't get worse, and then it does. By this time I've spent days doing nothing but writing cover letters, resumes, article queries, ideas, blogs, emails, notes, to do lists and messages. Creation happens and it multiplies until it can't contain itself. And then the destroyer comes, when I can no longer stand it, I remember my mother's words when I get overwhelmed: pick a small corner, focus on it and get it cleaned. Then move to the next corner, focus on it, no distractions, until it is cleaned. Repeat the process.

I've created, I've preserved and I've destroyed this room time and time again. Or maybe it has created, preserved and destroyed me, thousands of times.

I'll have you know that were it not for Fleming's messy desk, his petri dish would never have laid hidden for the time it took to grow penicillin. The mess hid the dish, the penicillin grew, and now we have one of the most universally useful drugs in all of history. All thanks to a creative mess.

I believe my room shall create something worthwhile. It already created three more articles for the PW, for which I am entirely grateful. More creation, more preservation, more destruction to create again!

No comments: