Friday, September 5, 2008

Was It The Segil

 "Was it the segil?" I thought to myself late Tuesday evening; September 2nd was a good day for me as I was offered a great job and as I was complimented at my internship. It was hinted that my editor wanted me to do freelance work. 

  One of the unique and really cool things I got from Pickathon, was the idea of a segil and what it meant to singer-songwriter Sean Hayes. He said that a segil is a sign that tells us or reminds us what to do. An EXIT sign lit in green for example tells us to "go, leave, exit, get somewhere else that is safer." He explained that a segil could be a symbol or drawing that reminds a person, for example, to exercise more often. Some might find that they want to keep exercise in their life on a long term basis, and so it makes sense for them  to keep their segil. Others might use a segil much like a Buddhist monk creates a mandala; with the intention of the drawing meaning something, letting it accomplish what it should and then letting it go. 

   In the last few weeks I have started on my own segil, which has actually morphed into a dream board. This has been slightly disappointing as it has come together in a more Oprah-esque girly way then I would have anticipated. The image in my mind is different than what ended up on the page. But that being said, the intention behind it is the same. It is a depiction of things I want to accomplish and things I want to attract to my life, and it can only bring, at the least, calm and organization of thought, and at the best, wealth and new possibilities and adventures. 

  Was it the segil that helped land me the job and the compliment and the courage to suggest freelance work? I don't know. But I will say this: the believer in me would like to believe that the segil had something to do with it. 

   I am a cautious believer; I like to give special meaning to signs that seem to point the way or seem to carry significance in my life. I also whole-heartedly believe that some things are mere coincidence. The delightful meeting I had today was not, however. 

   After an appointment I had in the alphabet district downtown I decided to walk to 23rd and get myself something to eat at Noah's. On the way back I decide to visit Babik's Rug shop on the pretense of looking at the rugs, but mostly to pet the big, fat cat that lays on a pile of folded rugs like a furry "Prince and the Pea." He was not there however as he was napping in a back room on another pile of rugs. 

   I did not intend on having much of a conversation with the salesman there but I wanted to ask about the cat and I wanted to act interested in the rugs, though truly beautiful, are things I don't need in my life. The companionship of an animal is and until I can afford one (preferably two) I will do all I can to pet and pat and love the critters that momentarily pass through my life. 
 
  People often use the word "gentleman" as if it describes the average guy, which it doesn't. But I can truly say Mehmet at the rug store was a true gentle man; he was a man with a gentle and truly kind demeanor and a warm heart. He spoke of the shop moving across the street and "Simba" the cat, (a grey tabby which bears no resemblance to the animated Disney character) having a garden to play in. His laughter was warm and gentle and his eyes were soft and sweet as he spoke. He told me that he had Simba for eight years and communicated with him as a friend. He also said he wouldn't know what to do when it is Simba's time to pass on. I told him  that when the time comes, there will be another cat that would touch his heart. I didn't mean to say it in a callous way, but a way that would insist to show Mehmet that he should keep caring after cats, because there are too many in this world that need love from a truly gentle man as himself. 

   I was surprised when Mehmet said he wanted to give me something from himself and Simba. He goes in the back room and leaves me standing there wondering what it is and feeling embarrassed that he should feel he needed to give me something. 

   He returned with a glass bead, fashioned in a the shape of a blue stylized eye. He explained that in Greece and Turkey it is meant to bring good luck and protection to those who have it. Words cannot express the appreciation I had at such a kind gift given with such true intention. And I was even more touched when he said that I brought a beautiful energy into his store. 

  So this posting is dedicated to the kindest man I have met in a long, long time, and perhaps in my whole life. Thank you from my heart to Simba and his care-taker, Mehmet at Babik's Rugs on 23rd. 

No comments: