Saturday, June 13, 2009

Things About Me

Things about me:

I was born of California dust, Hank Williams music, sagebrush and poppies. I share a birthday with Horatio Lord Nelson and Gene Autry, which is fitting as I'm both a child of the water and one of the West. I'm positive I was a charleston-dancing, gin, jazz and man-crazed flapper. I'm pretty sure I was in my twenties when the Germans rolled into France and I'm pretty sure I had a beau or a husband that went off to fight them. I'm sure I was a hippie and loved the idea that the Age of Aquarius could be upon us in 1968. I also know that the rock era was the best we'd ever seen; genius that was transferred from mind and soul to a guitar and microphone.

What does it say about me when my password for blogger is more complicated than the one I use for my bank account?

I'm lucky to be here at all; Grandma Jewels, as a baby, almost sailed the Titanic when it left Belfast in 1912. As a poor Irish baby in steerage, there's no way she would have made it onto a lifeboat, which means, I wouldn't be here.

I love my brown leather motorcycle jacket. I miss my beloved sterling silver cuff ring, and wear a poor replacement--a silver Celtic knot on my right index finger. I love my $1 blue leather cuff bracelet which adorns and sometimes hides the kick ass scar on my left wrist bone.

I love feeling the wind in my face, though it sometimes takes my breath away. I love words and intimacy between family, friends and lovers in only the way that I can. I love Annie and Amelia. I love spark and spontaneity, Dylan McKay and his '61 black bathtub Porsche.

I love the way that mens' jeans fold and fall over the tops of their shoes. I love the smell of horses, hay and horse manure. I love foxgloves and delphiniums and roses. I love Ragtime, Big Band and Tom Petty music. I love nuzzling the crook of a man's neck and inhaling his scent. I can't wait for someone to hold my hand again, and I am eagerly anticipating the day (or night) I can draw my brand somewhere on his body.

These are things about me, but just a few because as Walt Whitman said, "I contain multitudes."

No comments: