Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Things I've learned....

This is a list of things I've come to find out, learn or fully realized in the last few months....

1. Two years ago I bought a pair of Gap jeans for $50. They now have two holes in the thighs which need to be patched. Subsequently, because I've held on to these simple, waist-slung, wide leg jeans which now have holes, I have a pair of jeans that are now comparable to the trendiest $70 jeans at Gap. Sometimes it does pay to hold on to stuff.

2. A sign that capitalism only really works for those who already have money and is skewed toward the already successful, I've come to realize that even in journalism, it takes money to make money. You need to make money to live, but you need to have money to make money, so where do you get the original money from? Therein lies the problem.

3. Usually, almost without exception, the hardest jobs and the people who work in the hardest manual labor are usually the least compensated. Even a teacher, who although doesn't physically work hard, has one of the most important jobs around, and we all know that teachers are paid poorly.

4. Hand in hand with number 3- a person's earnings are usually equated with their worth as a human and in this society, but is often inversely proportional to the important and vital work they accomplish in said society.

5. I might have over watered some of the flowers I was trying to grow, but some of them are growing. My freesia is not straight but bends to the ground with leaves that are sickly and straggly, but the freesia is blooming and I now have yellow, red and purple flowers. Some of my rannunculus may have died, but I have a few hearty stems and roses have sprung from the ground when I thought they had died. These flowers aren't perfect but despite their issues, they've come to bloom as successfully as their prettier cousins. Likewise, I'm not the prettiest, smartest, wealthiest, most successful woman around and I know I've had my issues to deal with. But despite them, I still bloom quite nicely which proves you don't perfection or the best to do well.

2 comments:

Gall the Absurd said...

It reminds me of The Ambitious Violet by Khalil Gibran

seancoker said...

forget following money, write what moves you and the money will follow you...