Monday, May 18, 2009

Beaches and Revelations

I have just returned from paradise. What more does one need, but a sandy beach, waves lapping the shoreline and friends?

Parting is always hard, and it finally hit me at 5 am this morning, that once again my best friend Anne, is on the other side of the country. 

We have talked about how hard this past year has been; this year out of college has been so dramatically hard and sad for most of us. And while commiserating makes me feel better in the moment, I can't help but feel bereft of such a big part of my life as I lay awake at 5 am this morning. Is the early morning insomnia an effect of jet lag and Eastern time zone changes, or is it something more?

I guess in the end, I've had a lot of happy memories and a lot of laughter in those golden days of school; I don't laugh as much as I used to. And I hope that one day soon life becomes as happy or happier than the college days. I refuse to believe that the best days of my life are behind me. 

So here is to starting anew, to keeping old memories but letting go of their burdensome weight, their weight to impact the present and the future. 

And here is a wish that I might see Emily and Anne before Emily, my first close girl friend, gets married next April. Oh how we used to be carefree girls; when the sun flashed across our sunburned and golden skin against beaches of white, I realized, we're rapidly becoming the women we'd hope to grow into. 

No comments: