Monday, May 25, 2009

Me, a Romantic? No....

For the first time in a long time, I don't know how to start. There are so many emotions swirling inside of me that I have a hard time placing my finger on one at a time. And they run a range too, from my old standby-disappointment, to happiness, hope, a sense of loss, awe and some things in between. 

The morning of May 23rd, a young man asked a lovely young woman to show him her special place along the river near her home. This spot meant something to her as, years before, she read one of his letters there--at a time when both of these young people were trying to grapple with what they felt for one another and how they wanted to precede about their future. 

She took him down to the river where she glanced out around the surrounding landscape, and by the time she turned around to look at him, he was down on one knee, asking her if she would marry him. 

Ten seconds of surprised silence later she fervently exclaimed "Yes!" and history was made. 

Though I've always felt like Annie was my soul sister, somehow, her marrying makes it feel like she will be more my sister than before. And I will now have a brother in Lee. 

In a short, sweet, and heartfelt ceremony yesterday, Dan married his English rose Cat. On one of those beautiful days, in the way that only Los Angeles can resemble paradise, I found myself at the Greystone Mansion, looking out at the city I love and barely know, blooming roses, lush lawns and an infinite blue sky. With the warm sun and it being late May it would have been probable to have a very hot and uncomfortable day, but it was not, as perhaps the Eye of Heaven looked down on this special day and granted us a breeze. 

Two older people found each other and made a commitment in their first marriage, all after finding one another in speed dating. Cat said though she only had five minutes with him, she knew he was something special. And after dating for awhile they stood there in front of family, friends, coworkers and presumably, the Divine, to pledge that they were filled with faith---in their marriage, in each other, in themselves and in love. 

So friends, I suppose by now it should come as no surprise, that I am an unabashed romantic. It crept up on me, it really did--and I've come to realize that I am hardwired for love--a difficult place to be. Because here's the thing--so many people, especially at my age are looking for tail, or a career, or themselves and most are not looking for commitment or a relationship or that feeling in the heart. But I am, which means that every time someone special comes along, which is typically few and far between, my heart leaps into my throat before I can even try (and fail) to control my heart with my mind. I try desperately to tell myself not to get worked up or to hope that this time, really, things might lead to love. And when they don't I chide myself harshly for even hoping, because I'm the one that ends up hurt in the end. Disappointed and destroyed, after I knew it wouldn't be what I wanted it to be. 

After an amount of time dedicated to self pity and "poor me" commentary, I pick myself up, as a warrior does, and march blindly, and full of faith into the future that is my own. I continue to leap, though as Gavin DeGraw says,

Mounting the trail
but you got it in sight
sometimes I'm always jumping 
hoping I'm not afraid of heights 



No comments: