Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New Goals

"What can I write? I don't have any characters or plot. Who wants to read what I have to say?"

"Hunter S. Thompson wrote the Rum Diary-- a novel about trying to be a journalist while he was doing journalism."

And with that, he sparked an idea. If McCaulay Culkin can write a little novel with sketches and personal journal statements and Hunter S. Thompson becomes one of the most forward thinking and revered journalists of all time, all starting with nothing but an idea and talent, why can't I, I ask myself.

So this is my new project: and I will detail its parts in a list

1) Don't be too hard on myself (i.e. don't mentally paralyze myself before I've even begun or been turned down/ rejected)

2) Instead of being heads-down and fact checking at work---I'm going to be more present. I will write pitches and I will become more visible to Ann Herold, Mary Melton, Matthew Segal and such.

3) Take (a or many) creative writing course(s).

4) Start writing novel and look into getting it published

5) Learn Adobe and other digital illustration programs

6) Keep up on technology, blogging, new websites and such

7) And most of all KEEP THE FAITH THAT THE NATURAL TALENT I POSSESS WILL BE ENOUGH TO MAKE ME BRAVE ENOUGH TO SEEK OUT OPPORTUNITIES AND TO STICK WITH WRITING

No comments: